I'm feeling oh-so-reflective these days...and so i just need to dump my minds inventory online for public record. or my record. whatever. I read an article in synchronicity magazine over a year ago and it's still swirling in my head. Enter mind dump.
If I stopped what I was doing right now and took an inventory of myself, I'd recognize that I have the capacity, talent, direction, mission & calling within myself to work towards my goals & dharma - as do the rest of us. it's less about acquiring that special skill and more about 'actualizing' what we already have. We are the best; we are already enough!
American psychologist Abraham Maslow presented a theory of psychological health through studying people whom he called "self-actualizing", or in layman's terms: healthy & creative.
A self-actualizing person
- is reality oriented
- is accepting of oneself & others
- is spontaneous
- is problem-centered, rather than self-centered
- is detached & needing privacy
- is independent
- has fresh, rather than stereotyped appreciation of people
- has had a mystical or spiritual experience
- identifies with the human race as a whole
- has a few deep, intimate relationships
- has a philosophical rather than bitter sense of humor
- has creative resources
- is resistant to conformity
- is transcendent to one's environment.
I guess you can have great seeds & fertile soil - but without sunlight & water nothings going to grow.
In other words though, to self-actualize is to fulfill one's potential and achieve the highest level of 'human-beingness' we can. And what better way to live than to enjoy being a human to to the max - creating the ultimate human experience for ourselves. fuck yeah. being human rocks!
It's like before enlightenment & ascension comes self-actualization.